Frequently Asked Questions

recently answered questions

Building approval questions

How close can I build to a boundary?

Patio(class 1a)

  • Generally 1.5m from rear and side boundary, if no greater then 4.5m high and 6m from front boundary.

Carport /Garage / Shed(class 10a)

  • Generally 6m from the front boundary but this does change subject to Council planning activities (call us for advice). It may be located on the side boundary providing consideration is given to the location of any existing habitable window to the adjoining property and to maintenance.

Above ground Pool and Pool fencing (class 10b)

  • Generally above ground pools can be located up to the front, side or rear boundaries as long as there is a 1.8m high splash proof fence. If boundary fences are to be used as a complying pool fence, ensure consent of the adjoining property owners prior to use.
What information does a site plan require?

Site plans require the following information:

  • Location of Dwelling.
  • Location of proposed extension/ addition/ garage/ carport/ shed/ pool/ pool fence/ retaining wall/ patio
  • Site boundries.
  • Dimensions
  • North Point.
  • Front Street Name.

Pool Fence Specifics:

  • Location of abutting fences
  • Location of pool gates
  • Type of fencing materials
  • Location of existing structures

Pool Specifics:

  • Distances to boundaries
  • Type of filteration system
  • Fall of land
  • Location of sewer lines

Carports/ Patio/ Garage Specifics:

  • Distances to boundaries
  • Show stormwater disposal method
Do you inspect existing buildings that have problems?

At times these can be quite complex issues. We will help you by understanding the situation and providing advice and supportive solutions where appropriate. Each existing building discussion is handled discretely, with an appreciation for the owners situation, but with a goal to assist you to resolve the problems presented. Because of the unique situation of each problem, these advice activities are charged individually according to the situation. Contact us with detailed information for support.

How do I know when I need building approval?

Building applications are required for all new building work, including:

  • New dwellings
  • Removal homes
  • Demolitions
  • Alterations and additions to existing buildings
  • Sheds, roofed patios, gazebos and any structures with an impermeable roof
  • Retaining walls over 1m in height
  • Underpinning
  • Tenancy fit-outs
  • Commercial buildings
  • Swimming pools
  • Units
  • Change of classification
  • Fences greater than 2m in height
  • in some cases rainwater tanks

Approval is not required when the building works is:

  • Not more than 10 square metres
  • The height is not more than 2.4 metres
  • A mean height not more than 2.1 metres above natural ground level
  • Any side of the building or structure is no longer than 5.0m
  • Not attached to another building or structure
Can I build a carport within 1m of the front boundary as I see many car ports are?

Generally structures including a carport are required to be setback 6m from the front boundary. You can however apply to to the local council to vary or relax this requirement. Most councils refer to these applications as boundary relaxations or siting varitations. This approval would be required prior to obtaining a building permit

General Questions

How long does the process take?

Generally 3-4 weeks after all required information and any council approvals have been received

How much does it cost?

We only charge for the time taken on your building certification job and this varies depending on the type of Building Approval needed and its complexity. We will ensure you are fully aware and have agreed to the costs before they are incurred. Please contact us for a cost estimate for your Approval needs. Council fees and charges are passed on to you at direct cost (no added ABA handling or administration fees). We can advise you what these costs will be too.

Does it matter what council I am in?

Fees and Requirements do vary between councils